[LAU] seq24 real world experiences?? tips (looking for MPC replacement)

Aurelien tyranorl at free.fr
Wed Aug 17 07:18:17 UTC 2011

Hi!

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 03:47:09PM +0800, sonofzev at iinet.net.au wrote :

> Hi All,
>
> My mpc2000xl is starting to get more than a bit dated and I'm considering
> replacing it with either an mpc-2500  or possibly seq 24 with Linux sampler
>
> (which would require a small laptop for live, usb pads ala mpd and a usb audio
> output)..
>
> Does anyone have much live experience with this (e.g sets of one hour or more)?

I do use seq24 in live for several years, together with many things,
including Tapeutape, which is a sampler.

> I'm really interested in the reliability of this solution and how low a latency
> can I get (for real time filtering e.t.c.))..

seq24 is using ALSA for the midi, so the latency depends on the
capabilities of your machine.
However, I never had any problem with it concerning latency, knowing
that I use very short latencies, as my system also manages monitors for
musicians.
One thing, though, when playing, the tempo can't be changed in seq24, so
you'll probably need to set it as a jack timebase slave and change the
tempo on the master. My timebase master is sooperlooper. Still, I
experience a little sync problem: when starting playing the sequences,
the beginning of the very first events in the sequence (the ones being
at time 0 of this sequence) often aren't played (they're played all
times after). I'm not sure everyone has this problem, as I'm using a
"really-crappy" patched by my hand version of it.

> Triggering patterns under pads is reasonably well documented (although a little
> confusing but I'm sure I could work that out)

If you're talking about external midi control, it's quite easy, but the
.seq24rc file is quite unreadable!

> However,  one of the big features of the MPC that I would definitely need to
> replace is the "Next Sequence" button.. this allows me to use the pads to bring
> up the next set of loop patterns which will play at the conclusion of the current
> loop.  I haven't been able to see anything in all the documentation and online
> tutorials (video and text) that show anything like this function..

You mean : changing the page of your patterns, to switch to another 8x4
sequences matrix? or you're talking about queue?
Anyhow, both of them are possible.
For the first question, you just have to change the screenset (in the
official version, you only can switch to next or previous screen with
MIDI control, the version I patched allow you to select the screen you
want directly through a MIDI control). Then, you'll have to set 'play
this screenset' or something like that (can't remember exactly) to say
that you now play this screenset (the shortcut is "End" in my version,
should be the same for you).
If queued is concerned, then you might tell seq24 which MIDI control
will enable queue mode, then when selecting a bunch of sequences, next
time they reach the end, the new 'mute-group' will be selected (and
played).

> Is it even possible to bring up another set of loops with a menu to queue up
> while an existing set is playing??

OK, that question is answered just above.

> any tips welcome..
>
> cheers
>
> Allan

Aurélien