[LAU] Fwd: Presenting VMPK for Nokia N950

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas pedro.lopez.cabanillas at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 09:20:37 UTC 2011

Hi Niels,

On Wednesday 31 August 2011, Niels Mayer wrote:
> Regarding http://midi-clorianos.blogspot.com/2011/08/presenting-vmpk-for-nokia-n950.html
> :
>
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 8:58 AM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
> <pedro.lopez.cabanillas at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've released a beta of VMPK for Nokia N950 (Meego 1.2 Harmattan) containing FluidSynth.
> > You can download source and binary packages from SourceForge:
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmpk/files/vmpkn9/
> >
> > Please test. Your feedback will be appreciated. More info and screenshots:
>
> Just installed on "my" N950 -- this thing is AWESOME!!
> RESPONSIVE!! (I immediately went for fluidsynth's "Analog Drums" voice
> and went all autechre for a moment) MULTITOUCH!! The perfect handheld
> synth!

Thanks! About the multitouch feature: it is already implemented in vmpk-0.4.0 for Linux, Symbian, Windows and Mac, but the N950 offers up to six concurrent touch-points, that means 6 piano keys pressed at once. Other MeeGo and Symbian devices allow only two touch-points, limited by the hardware and/or the device drivers.

> Feature request: integrate
> http://qmidinet.sourceforge.net/qmidinet-index.html so it can be used
> as a remote  midi controller too.

Yes, this is also already implemented in vmpk-0.4.0, and will be announced when available for the N950. It's going to be an independent application package, clearly labeled with some WLAN sign to avoid misunderstandings.

> Do you have any plans to port this to the MeeGo Netbook or Tablet? It
> would work well on a larger touchscreen with a faster processor too.

I've successfully tested vmpk-0.4.0 in two MeeGo devices: WeTab (wetab.mobi) tablet and the Lenovo S10 Netbook, using the classic (not QML) user interface and it is quite usable on them. Nobody has reported usability or other problems for these platforms yet, but I will appreciate bug reports and reviews.

Regards,
Pedro