[LAU] Audio interface - which way now?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Aug 31 17:50:23 UTC 2011

James Stone wrote:
> My trusty SB Live! is slowly giving up the ghost, and I was wondering
> what people would recommend for a cheap audio interface compatible
> with linux? It seems USB is a dead end - with all the USB2 stuff being
> non-compatible with Linux..

There is some USB2 interfaces that work with Linux, I think they've been
mentioned on the list in prior discussions.

> firewire seems to be being phased out,

Being phased out of laptops, but I understand it can be readily added
via Firewire cards.

> and
> I'm not sure about PCI?

Audiophile 2496 works fine.

> I really just need something basic, but that is relatively quiet
> (unlike a no-name cheapo USB interface I bought a while back). 1 x
> stereo in would be fine for my purposes.

Audiophile 2496 if you like PCI. A bit more than just 1 stereo in, but I
basically use mine for stereo in & out.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com