[LAU] WG: [slightly OT] Musical citation (what is allowed?)

Renato rennabh at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 12:41:46 UTC 2011

On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 11:15:50 +0300
Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com> wrote:

> I second what Ralf says.
>
> There is a nice Russian article on the subject. Shortly speaking, it
> is about the fact that art has always been standing on other artists'
> shoulders. But now such a stance is denied to artists and it is
> sometimes even deemed shameful if you are using synth presets,
> instead of coming up with your own. So the article speaks of how the
> cult of originality has toned down creativity and that songwriters
> spend too much time trying to make original presets and arrangements
> instead of writing songs and how much time is spent in doing
> something original just for the sake of originality.
> I am very much with what the author says. I do not see a problem with
> anyone using another composer's melody. In fact, isn't this is what
> composers write songs for, so that people can play and sing them?
>
> Indeed, economical thinking has distorted perception of art greatly
> with this concept of originality.

Hi Louigi, I too like very much what you've written and couldn't agree
more.

I believe that imitation is at the basis of every art, and it should
not only be allowed, but encouraged. Of course I'm not talking about
plagiarism - that one does it only to become popular, but it doesn't do
it to express himself (which is what art is about).

cheers
renato