[LAU] WG: [slightly OT] Musical citation (what is allowed?)

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 13:08:50 UTC 2011

On 02/12/11 11:44, Hartmut Noack wrote:
> Am 01.12.2011 12:47, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
>> PS: "In Germany the GEMA sued kindergartens for singing Rolf
>> Zuckowski's children's songs."
>>
>> Pardon, in Germany the children are allowed to sing his songs, but
>> they have to pay for singing his songs.
>>
>> Fuck Rolf Zuckowski.
>
> You will have to f...k quite a lot of people, if you apply that to
> everyone, who deserves it.
>
> No, not Zuckowski: GEMA is the problem. Some say, GEMA is the most
> aggressive and reactionary PRO in the west.

I think SIAE is pretty much the same (apart from the fact, maybe, that
they have a legal monopoly here in Italy).

Its politics dictate every
> musician: be with us or be nothing. And they do not ask Zuckowski or any
> of their members before they sue a kindergarden, a hospital or a social
> youth club.

That's the problem with collecting societies, say someone wanted to
'donate' their song for a cause, occasion (e.g. children in
kindergarten) etc. they can't if it's registered with a collecting
society and the work is.

Lorenzo.