[LAU] [LAD] gxtuner-1.5 released

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vait.se
Sat Dec 10 23:06:01 UTC 2011

Hi Gerhard,

On Saturday 10 December 2011 13.17.41 Gerhard Zintel wrote:
> I've read the links you posted with great interest, especially this one
> >   "http://www.guyguitars.com/eng/handbook/Tuning/tuning.html#My
> >   favourite>
> > method"
>
> and here I stumbled about his favorit tuner - see www.turbo-tuner.com.
> After a while of thinking about the principle of a strobe tuner I have
> got the feeling, the turbo tuner could be easily implemented in
> software.
> > Does really gxtuner (or nearly any other tuner) have functions that
> > solve this problem on guitars with only the bridge corrected?
>
> Would this kind of tuner be of any help for you?

Probably, but I have the fortune of having very good mechanics on my
gear, so it's almost in tune even after hours of playing and whammying!
:-)

Tuners are in general only really needed for live playing and when you do
intonation. And it seems to me that one can calibrate this tuners to
specific guitars with help of presets. And with ±.02 cents guaranteed
accuracy ( a trained ear is usually not better than around ±.2-3 cents)
this is very good stuff. A bridge-only adjusted  guitar often has tones
that is as much as ± 10 cents out of tune (my subjective opinion - it can
even be worse), that can in theory be as bad as 20 cents of error between
2 tones!

So a tuner for live usage need to be able to have presets that says
"Bulls eye" slightly out of tune for each of the open EADGBE strings in
order to have a good compromise for guitars with only the bridge
adjusted.

Personally, I don't use tuners on stage, but the turbo-tuners look great!

..or maybe a Linux-powered one that runs on a netbook, laptop, pad or a
smartphone? ;-)

Jostein