[LAU] Good audio interface for GNU/Linux?

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Dec 12 05:16:12 UTC 2011

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 2:02 AM, Al Thompson <althompson58 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On 12/11/2011 10:54 PM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>>>
>>> Otherwise get a hammerfall or delta10/10 and be done with it. They are
>>> well tested and have proven stability. You may be able to pick one up
>>> cheaply second hand.
>>
>> I'd feel fairly comfortable with multiple in/outs with an LT1010.  I'd
>> be more concerned with his apparent need to have multiple, independent
>> chains of guitar/bass effects/modelling with some attempt at low
>> latency.  I think the odds of having low enough latency for
>> simultaneous
>> drum processing is pretty slim.
>>
>> I think a better solution would be three PCs, each running their own
>> instances of guitar effects programs, and running the outputs of those
>> PCs through a multiple headphone amp such as a Rolls or similar.
>>

> Patrick, Al, thanks for your help.
>
> If we choose the headphone amp solution, we would still need an
> instrument input for each laptop/PC (for bass and guitar). Would you
> recommend using a PCI one for this or an USB one should be enough?.

Recording with usb will not be as efficient or low latency as pci.

> Which one?. Would it be possible to use the mic input of our cheap
> sound cards from our laptops to connect those instruments?

You can record your instruments via you pc sound card mic in but you will
need to amplify the source before it gets to the sound card or once it is
in the machine.  Your results will sound much better with a preamp.

You might find that it saves a lot of hassle to buy a mixing desk that has
all the i/o you need and run that though a 10/10 or hammerfall.

It depends on your budget really.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd