[LAU] Good audio interface for GNU/Linux?

tizo tizone at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 13:32:02 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 1:49 AM, Al Thompson <althompson58 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/12/2011 12:04 AM, tizo wrote:
>>
>> Patrick, Al, thanks for your help.
>>
>> If we choose the headphone amp solution, we would still need an
>> instrument input for each laptop/PC (for bass and guitar). Would you
>> recommend using a PCI one for this or an USB one should be enough?.
>> Which one?. Would it be possible to use the mic input of our cheap
>> sound cards from our laptops to connect those instruments?
>>
>> Thanks again.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the need for PCs at all in this situation.
>
> My suggestion would be for each guitarist and the bassist to use their
> normal signal processing chain, and, instead of plugging each into an
> amp, plug instead into a DI and run it into your mixer.  Most mixers
> have at least two monitor sends and one or two effects sends.  Use each
> of those for an independent headphone mix for each person.
>
> Instant infinitively-variable, zero-latency multi-mix monitoring
> solution, with zero added complexity, and no added equipment.  Each
> person also has instant access to their effects pedals, and not have to
> line up for their turn in front of the monitor/mouse to add a bit of
> treble to their guitar.
>
> I just hate adding so much unnecessary complexity to things.  When I
> want to practice, I want to be able to concentrate on playing, not
> struggle with equipment all night.

Two reasons:

1- We don't have DIs, and by now, we still don't have a mixer (yes, I
know we need one if we connect the instruments to different computers
too).

2- We are confident that guitarix amp will sound much better that our
real guitar amp and distortion pedal.

In any way, connecting the bass directly to the mixer with a DI, can
be really helpful to reduce all the complexity of the solution. It had
not come to my mind, because I simply didn't know what a DI was, so
thanks again Al!.