[LAU] Rosegarden -> lilypond help

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Dec 16 03:01:58 UTC 2011

On Thursday, December 15, 2011 09:18:14 PM Brendan Jones did opine:

> On 12/15/2011 11:02 PM, gene heskett wrote:
> > Greetings everybody, midi folks in particular;
> >
> > I have a .mid file that plays using the wrong instruments because it
> > was composed before GM.
> >
> > Sent to the built in synth in an audigy2, it plays at normal speed but
> > wrong instruments.
> >
> > Loaded into rosegarden (to fix this), it plays at about 1/100th speed.
> > This doesn't surprise me too much as the originating program dates to
> > 1991 on a TRS-80 Color Computer 3&  GM was something we only got in
> > the then brand new Sound Canvas's and such.  Obviously something in
> > the header doesn't meet .mid file specs.  I did change the internal
> > name from .ume to .mid in a hex editor, and reloaded but other than
> > the track title now showing the correct string, no other effect.
> >
> > In an effort to see what might be wrong, I fired up the print preview
> > which uses lilypond to generate the 'sheet' music.  But from the
> > looks of it, its going to use 80% of all 4 cores of this phenom for
> > several hours to render, probably because of this same time error,
> > (transport says its like nearly 3 hours long, but its a bit over 3
> > mins in actual play time) so the generated pdf is likely to be 40Gb!
> >
> > Does anyone know enough about this to tell me where, in rosegarden, to
> > fix this?  Or do I need the hex editor again?  Or, heaven forbid, its
> > a bug in rosegarden (shudder).
> >
> > Thanks midi folks.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> Can you read the file using frescobaldi for example and set the tempo?

Frescobaldi is not in the pclos repos, sorry.

I did just install 'abc2midi' which has some two way scripts in it, but I
haven't run it yet.

> If its not private/copyrighted, post the a link to the file.
>
> Brendan

I expect it is copyrighted, its somebodies 'moused into Ultimuse-III'
version of Brian Wilson's California Girls. If Cher has her way, it will
never go out of copyright. :(

I just tried midi2abc on it, and get either an "unexpected byte = 0x22" or
a segfault.  So either it has problems, or there is a bad byte(s) in this
archive.  If that is so, then likely I have several dozen other .ume's that
I can load and re-export as .mid that will have the same set of symptoms.

Thanks Brendan.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
A computer scientist is someone who fixes things that aren't broken.