[LAU] Help with amateur radio setup

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Fri Dec 16 13:51:02 UTC 2011

On Friday 16 December 2011 08:39:30 Ali Polatel wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 07:16:38AM -0500, drew Roberts wrote:
> >On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 4:27 AM, Ali Polatel <polatel at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I and a couple of friends have decided to set up an amateur internet
> >> radio. We have a relatively small budget thus we want to go step by
> >> step.
> >
> >Are all of the DJs going to operate from the same studio? Or will they
> >be located somewhere else around the world?
>
> The latter.

Thanks. I figured that just after I posted and then re-read the question.
Sorry.

The problem is going to be with the central music storage and playout but
local vocals mixed in with that. Actually the lag that results is the
problem.

DJ kicks off song playout remotely (on/from central machine). Music streams to
DJ only. DJ speaks as needed and mixes this with music stream locally. DJ
then streams this mix either back to the central machine for streaming to
listeners or to another machine for streaming to listeners. Lather, rinse,
repeat. The lag could make for a show that is not tight though.

Or. DJs download a temporary copy of the music for their show ahead of time
and music and DJ voice originate locally and then sent to central machine or
another machine for streaming to listeners.

I figure there are other possibilities too.

Perhaps some of the suggestions you get will already address the lag issue.

> >> What we've thought so far is to have a devoted box with all the music
> >> archived. Ideally we want to make the interface very simple for DJs to
> >> use, even if this means increasing the maintenance cost of the system
> >> administrator. They should be able to grab a microphone and use a
> >> portable interface (yes, some DJs may be using windows) to choose music,
> >> play and start talking right away.
> >>
> >> The devoted box will be running Linux and I plan to administer the
> >> system. I have relatively good knowledge on Linux systems and
> >> programming in general. I want the system to be flexible, be it at the
> >> cost of difficulties in configuration or deployment.
> >>
> >> Please advice and share your experiences.
> >>
> >>                -alip

all the best,

drew