[LAU] Help with amateur radio setup

Ali Polatel polatel at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 13:57:07 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 11:26:23AM +0100, Giso Grimm wrote:

>On 12/16/2011 10:27 AM, Ali Polatel wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I and a couple of friends have decided to set up an amateur internet
>> radio. We have a relatively small budget thus we want to go step by step.
>> What we've thought so far is to have a devoted box with all the music
>> archived. Ideally we want to make the interface very simple for DJs to
>> use, even if this means increasing the maintenance cost of the system
>> administrator. They should be able to grab a microphone and use a
>> portable interface (yes, some DJs may be using windows) to choose music,
>> play and start talking right away.
>>
>> The devoted box will be running Linux and I plan to administer the
>> system. I have relatively good knowledge on Linux systems and
>> programming in general. I want the system to be flexible, be it at the
>> cost of difficulties in configuration or deployment.
>>
>> Please advice and share your experiences.
>
>Hi Alip,
>
>icecast and darkice are the tools I use for streaming and broadcasting.
>Both have fairly good documentation. Icecast is used by professional
>broadcasting stations (e.g., Tilos Radio Budapest http://www.tilos.hu,
>see http://stream.tilos.hu for the icecast web interface).

This looks really neat. I will try to learn more about them and post
more questions along the way.

>darkice is a tool which can stream from your soundcard (ALSA, OSS or
>jack) to an icecast server. It can encode to ogg or mp3 (mp3 depends on
>mp3 encoder libs, which are not available on all distros). Both tools
>work very well and robust.

After having a quick look at the web page I can say this looks like a
nice tool for DJs with Linux or *BSD on their boxes. Now I have one more
reason to make the "others" switch to Linux ;)

>Be aware that the network load of the relay server (icecast) is stream
>bandwidth times number of listeners.

Thanks for mentioning. Maybe I can move the service to a hosting
provider at some point when we start hitting our limits. I presume this
will be more practical, stable and maybe even cheaper. Any suggestions?