[LAU] rosegarden 1 system 0

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Dec 17 05:31:01 UTC 2011

gene heskett wrote:
> On Friday, December 16, 2011 09:10:48 PM Bob van der Poel did opine:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Brett McCoy <idragosani at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>> I don't know what could be causing the issue. You need to see if the
>>> same problems happen when the hardware synth is not being used. If no
>>> lockups occur when Rosegarden plays back to Fluidsynth or another
>>> synth, then see if you get the same lockup when another MIDI sequencer
>>> sends MIDI to you hardware synth. If so, then the problem is your
>>> audio hardware. Is the hardware a PCI card or built-in on the
>>> motherboard?
>
> PCI
>
>> I can add that when I used the MIDI ports on my Audiophile PCI card
>> I'd get total system lockups all the time :) I now use the el-cheapo
>> USB->Midi interfaces and have never had a problem with them. The
>> audiophile lockups were over different computers and several different
>> Ubuntu installs. Never figured out what was going on ... just decided
>> to use the USB thing and not worry.
>
> Potentially at the cost of some latency, plus I understand that USB can re-
> order packet sequences.  As long as they get there, I don't imagine that as
> being a huge problem though, as long as the note off doesn't get there
> before the corresponding note on.

No help whatsoever, but have had no lockups with RG 11.11.11 running on
Aptosid (a stabilized Debian Sid) using Audiophile card and a USB=MIDI
cable working with Yahamaha external keyboard. Using MSI mobo with
quad-core Phenom II (2.2GHz) 4GB RAM, using jack2.

Have never tried to use the Audiophile's MIDI ports. Most MIDI ports are
just glorified serial ports, don't know what the Audiophile uses since
their output port also includes SPDIF. Can't imagine why a serial port
would freeze a machine.

I don't use timidity - have never in years of Linux use been able to get
it to work. Qsynth/fluidsynth works, so I really haven't tried to make
timidity work.

Hard freezes like that sound like hardware driver or hardware problem,
possibly IRQ/mobo problem.

I don't know PCLOS - does it use PulseAudio? I always remove PA on audio
systems.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com