[LAU] rosegarden 1 system 0

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Dec 17 16:53:46 UTC 2011

On Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:50:53 AM Jeremy Jongepier did opine:

> On 12/16/2011 09:18 PM, gene heskett wrote:
> > Hi folks;
> >
> > For the third time in about 20 hours, rosegarden has locked the system
> > up totally, requiring a hardware reset to reboot.  All 3 times it was
> > playing a song.
> >
> > System is a quad core AMD phenom at 2.1 Ghz, 4Gigs memory, rosegardens
> > midi output directed to the midi synth built into an Audigy2 Value
> > sound card installed in an ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe mobo.
> >
> > OS is pclos-2011 and up to date as of about midnight last night.
> > Kernel is a pclos supplied version of 2.6.38-2, using Con K's bfs
> > scheduler.  Realtime feel for the desktop. :)
> >
> > rosegarden is version:
> > Rosegarden version: 11.02 ("Claire de Lune")
> > Build key: 34a6ea6dff
> > Built against Qt version: 4.7.0
> > Qt's libs in /usr/lib say they are 4.7.3
> >
> > Zero messages made it to the logs, its a total freeze.
> >
> > Take rosegarden out of the scene and uptimes for this machine have
> > been in excess of 30 days. Generally, pclos has been a _very_ stable
> > release.
> >
> > Can I dig up and supply any other info that might be needed here?
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> Hello Gene,
>
> What are your memlock settings? You can check that with the ulimit -m
> command. If it's set to 'unlimited' you might consider allocating it
> less memory, like 80% of your total available RAM.
>
> Best,
>
> Jeremy

It is set unlimited, but top didn't show excessive use a few seconds before
that last lockup.  Perhaps 1.3G out of 4G as the uptime was only half an
hour or so at the time.

However, that might be another tool to adjust, thanks Jeremy.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by
reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"