[LAU] What audio interface to use for a Linux-powered surround preamp?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun Dec 18 13:03:27 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 12:30:18PM +0100, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> On 12/15/2011 02:59 AM, Johan Herland wrote:

>> What other audio interfaces should I check out? Are there other things
>> I should keep in mind when picking an audio interface?
>
> unfortunately, the only answer for truly professional audio hardware
> under linux is rme. not that their gear is bad, but it sure is
> expensive, and i wonder what we're going to do if they ever turn evil...
> time for those open hardware projects...

'Expensive' is relative in this case. RME's HDSP AES-32 has 8 x AES
in (i.e. 16 ch) and 8 x AES out. 730 Euro at Thomann. That is peanuts
compared to the price of 8 channels of digital amps. And I'm not even
considering the price of the speakers that wouldn't make using such
expensive amps a joke.

Ciao,

--
FA

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.