[LAU] jack2: 32bit vs. 64bit

Csillag Kristof csillag.kristof at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 11:25:11 UTC 2011

Here are some more details.

- Working on a Debian 64-bit install,
- Stock debian kernel, v3.1.5
- official jack2 v.1.9.7 64-bit packages from Debian,
- Jack works properly with native 64-bit applications, like audicious.
- Specifically testes Pianoteq 64-bit with jack, and it works OK
- manually installed 32-bit jack2 libs (from Debian i386)
- When trying to run pianoteq 32-bit, I get this:

----------------------------
Jack error: Cannot lock down 68157440 byte memory area (Cannot allocate
memory)
Jack error: Cannot lock down 4196401152 byte memory area (Cannot
allocate memory                                                    )
Jack error: Cannot lock down 25165824 byte memory area (Cannot allocate
memory)
Jack error: You cannot set callbacks on an active client
Jack error: You cannot set callbacks on an active client
Jack error: You cannot set callbacks on an active client
Jack error: You cannot set callbacks on an active client
Jack error: You cannot set callbacks on an active client
Segmentation fault
***********************

I was seeing similar error messages with fst and wineasio - both linked
to the 32-bit jack library, but since they also both involve WINE, they
are harder to debug, this is I involved Pianoteq in the testing; it's a
native linux app, available in both 32-bit and 64-bit version.

    * * *

So, it looks like my hybrid 64-bit / 32-bit jack installation is
dysfunctional.
That's why I am asking this: is this (32-bit jack clients connecting to
a 64-bit deamon) even supposed to work?

Thank you:

    Kristof