[LAU] jack2: 32bit vs. 64bit

Csillag Kristof csillag.kristof at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 14:17:38 UTC 2011

> Here are some more details.
>
> - Working on a Debian 64-bit install,
> - Stock debian kernel, v3.1.5
> - official jack2 v.1.9.7 64-bit packages from Debian,
> - Jack works properly with native 64-bit applications, like audicious.
> - Specifically testes Pianoteq 64-bit with jack, and it works OK
> - manually installed 32-bit jack2 libs (from Debian i386)
> - When trying to run pianoteq 32-bit, I get this:
>
> ----------------------------
> Jack error: Cannot lock down 68157440 byte memory area (Cannot
> allocate memory)
> Jack error: Cannot lock down 4196401152 byte memory area (Cannot
> allocate memory                                                    )
> Jack error: Cannot lock down 25165824 byte memory area (Cannot
> allocate memory)
> Jack error: You cannot set callbacks on an active client
> Jack error: You cannot set callbacks on an active client
> Jack error: You cannot set callbacks on an active client
> Jack error: You cannot set callbacks on an active client
> Jack error: You cannot set callbacks on an active client
> Segmentation fault
> ***********************

I have tried the same with jack1, instead of jack2.
After replacing the JACK2 64-bit packages  with the JACK1 ones, and
also replacing the Debian-supported 32-bit jack1 libjack with the latest
32-bit jack1 libjack (from i386),
32-bit jack clients started to work!

At least Pianoteq 32-bit now works properly, and WineASIO can connect to
jack, and is detected properly now.

However, this does not mean that the quest is over; since
  a) I still get to have Kontakt running, and
  b) I vaguely remember that I have read somewhere that jack1 (or
netjack1) does not support something I need ... but I don't remember
what it was exactly.

I will keep posting my findings.

Thank you:

     Kristof