[LAU] What audio interface to use for a Linux-powered?surround?preamp?

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Dec 21 15:24:30 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:02:55 AM Fons Adriaensen did opine:

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 10:51:59PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > Its been yonks, as in decades, and not in stereo, but a locked
> > oscillator, and yes, even then I was surprised at the quality.
>
> It's quite easy to do in SW these days. All you need is one of those
> japanese boxes that were mentioned on this list (IIRC) a few days
> ago. They provide downconverted I,Q. Input via you soundcard, add
> a PLL, a few multiplies and some filters.

They've done a software radio issue occasionally in Circuit Cellar that I
try to grok, doing a lot without 20 lbs of hardware always amazes me.  But
I like Steve's attitude about all this, he claims his favorite programming
language is solder.  :)  For me, I've gotten to the point where I use
solder only if I can't do it in 6x09 machine code.  Yeah, I know its slow,
but its also quite easy to write good, dead stable software for it.

> > I'd consult with Bob Pease at National Semi., but his penchant for
> > driving an old VW bug eventually wrote his obit about a year back.
>
> I didn't know he died... He has certainly been a source of
> inspiration for an entire generation of analog designers.
> I still keep the old NS databooks he wrote...

And I've been keeping every issue of whatever rag he was in at the time,
for around 35 years, just in case I could pick his brain for good ideas.

His dub did the usual dub trick of tucking the outside rear tire under
going around a corner a bit too pushy, the resultant roll hit a good sized
tree.  Instantly according to the officers on the scene.  Sad news indeed.
[...]
> > couple 5" rotrons to suck out the hot air cut that down to 1 or 2 a
> > year, and some clip-on heat sinks helped the 5532's last for years.
>
> Hehe. For me one of the main advantages of digital audio gear is that
> signals don't pass through zillions of switches, pots, etc. as it would
> in e.g. an analog mixer. That alone makes a very big difference.

But it puts you at the mercy of digital multipliers for gain control.
There is a prop delay there that doesn't help.  Using hardware helps, but
way too many bean counters force the use of software cuz its cheaper than
good 32 bit multiplier chips.  Bean counters will be the death of us yet
you know. :)

> Ciao,

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)