[LAU] New arrangement and mix

S. Massy lists at wolfdream.ca
Sat Dec 24 00:42:53 UTC 2011

Hi, Will,

Great piece as always: there are multi-platinum record-selling "new-age"
artists out there who aren't a patch on what you do. Greatly
appreciated!

The harpsichord-like synth sounds cool at first but rapidly becomes
irritating and both distracts and detracts from the piece: I think it
would be wonderful if sent way back to become more of texture than
feature. I think the bass could do with a 1-2db cut to bring the mix
into better balance. Finally, I think Julien's suggestion for an added
line makes good sense both musically and mix-wise.

Lastly, comparing both versions, I can't help feeling that you
over-compensated for some of your past problems with high frequencies.
Whereas the first version exhibits some of the harsh high peaks I've
pointed out now and then, the second version sounds muffled and lacks
the sparkle found in some of your other works, which hurts stereo
imaging. Might you have wielded your high shelf a little too boldly?

Happy holidays to all!

Cheers,
S.M.