[LAU] qjackctl and ubuntu 11.10 unity

hermann brummer- at web.de
Wed Dec 28 12:11:43 UTC 2011

Am Mittwoch, den 28.12.2011, 11:34 +0100 schrieb Ralf Madorf:
> On Wed, 2011-12-28 at 10:51 +0100, hermann wrote:
> > What I didn't like in your previous post is the totalitär attitude you
> > use do describe what professional audio have to be.
> > Please, be aware that others could have other way's to get stuff done.
> > What today seems to be the best way, didn't must be tomorrow true.
> > The modular work-flow under linux is (and now because jack is MULTI OS
> > COMPATIBLE, was) unique under the OS's, and have some big advance over
> > the AIO flow witch is the way to do stuff like you said.
>
> Full ACK, but my claim still is
> "Everybody should be able to go from one studio to the next and know how
> to handle the equipment. The approach off pro-audio is to keep things
> easy for the engineer.

[SATIRE ON]
To turn around your statement, you said : session handlers are bad
because audio engineers are to stupid to use them ?
Or do you mean : we didn't have to have session handlers because the
others didn't have them to ?

> Applications like Ardour and Qtractor come closer and closer to this
> approach. The policy of several apps + a session handler is a step in
> the wrong direction."

Again turn it around, do you mean that all linux audio stand alone
applications, except Ardour and Qtractor are non Professional and at
least only a wast of time, and they have to be plugins for those 2
Master Applications, it shouldn't be allowed to them to run outside of
them, application connections with jack is a bad idea, do you mean
that ? Do you believe that non of them are in use in any Professional
Audio Studio ?

> Tinkerer do amazing music. I'm tinker my self, AT HOME!
>
> > To see that, you need to free up your mind from oldish ways.
>
> That's not the point. I do this for home recording.

No, the point is that innovations need to be done, and sometimes you
need to walk on new way's to get them done. Otherwise, you can still sit
down and do what you ever do, without the need of learn something new.
But if you have made your feats wet, you see fast a bunch of possible
new ways and will walk on.

> For hardware we have unwritten standards, e.g. what should be pre and
> what should be post fader for a mixing console. A mixing console that
> has another way to do things could be very good, but it isn't regarding
> to usability for pro-audio.
>
> You know the sentence of the office mob? "If I'm not at work, nobody
> would be able to do the work." They say this with proud, instead of
> being ashamed.
>
> For pro-audio you need to make it idiotproof.
> Pro-audio means to do good recordings, for "normal" music.

For me, Pro Audio means a bit more then that, so definitions could
differ.

> Working modular with electronics and computers is something I do myself.
> This is part of some compositions. Hopefully it's on a high level ;),
> but a high level anyway has less to do with professional work for daily
> bread.

So, professional work wouldn’t happen on high level ?

> Regarding to DEs the Linux community claimed that Windows was
> "klickibunti" de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klickibunti already wit 98, and XP.
> Correct, but what the hell is KDE4, GNOME3, Unity. The same people tody
> tend to claim similar to "To see that, you need to free up your mind
> from oldish ways."

What, the same people do that ?? Crazy :-))
[SATIRE OF]

regards
hermann