[LAU] qjackctl and ubuntu 11.10 unity

Ralf Madorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Dec 28 15:13:22 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-12-28 at 14:52 +0100, Ralf Madorf wrote:
> For analog tapes you have a colour code for different speeds.
> Additionally you have a a coloured tape that shows interruptions of
> the
> recorded program.
>
> You don't have such standards because audio engineers are idiots, you
> have got standards because they aren't idiots.
>
> If one engineer has got a cold, another can finish her/his work. It's
> not like it is for the office mob, when one of them has got a cold and
> can't come to the office, that nobody else is able to overlook the
> other
> ones work flow.

PS:

The office mob has got no sense for beauty, they are part of a
dog-eat-dog society. "If you are unable to overlook my work flow, read
my Wiki" :p.

Audio engineers sometimes do bad things, because they need to survive,
pay there rent etc., so we'll do some loudness war mastering, anyway,
most of us aren't dog-eat-dog business rivals. We simply love audio
engineering. Some unwritten standards are generally accepted, not why we
are dinos, who are unable to imagine new solutions. We invent new
solutions, but keep standards, because we aren't ivory towered, resp.
dog-eat-dog society narcissists.

Resume:

+1 for session handling by Linux, as long as it doesn't break
"pro-audio" work flow, the way I described "pro-audio".

+1 for any DE, as long as an upgrade of a DE doesn't break the usage,
just to get some bad shadows etc., especially to be forced to use
proprietary drivers should be a no-go.