[LAU] Best midi/osc controllers for linux?

S. Massy lists at wolfdream.ca
Thu Dec 29 18:39:41 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 11:19:00AM -0800, Iain Duncan wrote:
> Hey folks, I'm wondering if people can let me know which pad/knob
> controllers they know to work well if you're going to use them in home
> brewed linux rigs. IE, which ones can be configured flexibly to send
> whatever I want from the pads and knobs, and won't turn out to be kinda
> useless if I'm not using commercial software with them.
For what its worth, for midi, I have a Novation Remote Zero SL and it
allows extensive patch editing from the device itself, and allows
backup/restore via SYSEX. Unfortunately, it's use is very limited to me,
as I can't use the on-board functions (can't see the little screens),
but it does seem to work ootb on Linux. Obviously, you can't use the
provided helper software, but, at least, I believe you can do
practically everything from the device itself.

Cheers,
S.M.