[LAU] Audio stopped working - troubleshooting help

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Fri Dec 30 18:35:10 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

  The setup has worked for many years.  M-Audio 1010LT on Fedora 8.  I
know, old OS, I should update.  Nevertheless, it worked nicely... until
yesterday when suddenly mplayer would stop right in its track whne
starting to play a .flv file.  Same with xine: it freezed at the
beginning of an ogg file, w/o any further error msg.

  Rebooting the machine, a KDE error was shown reporting that the
sound device was not there.  Indeed, there is no /dev/dsp.  And, lspci
does not list the audio card.  In this case, dmesg reports nothing
about the audio card, no good news, no errors.

  Rebooting a few times shows that sometimes dmesg does report:

 ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:06.0[A] -> Link [APC1] -> GSI 16 (level,
low) -> IRQ 16 PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:01:06.0 to 64
 invalid EEPROM version 0
 invalid CS8427 signature 0x0: let me try again...
 unable to find CS8427 signature (expected 0x71, read 0x0),
   initialization is not completed
 CS8427 initialization failed
 ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:01:06.0 disabled
 ICE1712: probe of 0000:01:06.0 failed with error -14

 ... Which is about the 1010lt.

 At other boot times the dsp device shows up but there's no audio, with
 'mplayer -msglevel all=7 <file>' reporting:

 [AO_ALSA] Playback open error: Connection refused
 Failed to initialize audio driver 'alsa'
 AO: [oss] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
 Starting playback...

 What would this be really about ?  Is this a case of a failing 1010lt
 card after so many years ?  Can it suddenly fail anyways ?  Or is it
 a power supply that fails to deliver the necessary voltage to the
 1010lt ?  Or would it be a motherboard whose PCI tracks are getting
 off the pcboard (or something like that) ?

 There was no software change made to the Fedora 8 OS.  Is there a way
 to be certain of which component is failing ?

 Thanks for any suggestions, observations and comments.  The audio
 component of the machine is quite useful and after a day now I
 already miss it and do not know how to approach this problem.  I
 would not want to go out on a shopping spreee for a new MB (CPU, RAM)
 or/and new power supply or 1010LT card without knowing what is going
on.