[LAU] Linux programs for creatiing/manipulating sound effects

Edgar Aichinger edogawa at aon.at
Mon Feb 7 11:15:55 UTC 2011

Am Montag 07 Februar 2011, 06:54:56 schrieb Bearcat M. Şandor:
> Folks,
>
> I've been thinking about playing with sound effects. For a lot of my
> life, i've been interested in the sounds that various things make and i
> am wondering if there is a linux program that would allow me to take a
> sound clip and manipulate it.  Like taking the sound of a chair squeak
> and distort it, stretch it, apply filters to it, alter the tone etc.
>
> Is there a linux gui app for this sort of thing? Preferably in with the
> gtk tool kit as i have that all loaded up?
>
> I did some digging around, but i didn't see much. Of course there's
> always the chance that i looked at something that would do it well and
> didn't recognise it.

Along with what other posters answered, i'd say have a look at mammut:

http://archive.notam02.no/arkiv/doc/mammut/

it can mangle your soundfiles in astounding ways, with algos you never
heard about before, and rendering completely unexpected results.

Then there's paulstretch, by the author of ZynAddSubFX, being somewhat
more specialized as it only does time stretching, and it does that very well
for rather big timestretch ratios:

http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/

Just one more idea: I got quite interesting results by abusing dsp algorithms,
like e.g.audacity's denoiser module: I took some hissy/noisy garbage from old
recordings i had lying around, and experimented with the denoiser parameters,
normalized after processing, applied it several times in a row etc. The artifacts it
produces tend to have a "resonating" quality so that noise starts to have a tonal
component...