[LAU] Linux programs for creatiing/manipulating sound effects

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Wed Feb 9 15:43:28 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Arnold Krille's message of 2011-02-09 13:21:45 +0100:
> On Wednesday 09 February 2011 11:50:16 Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> > For recording I'm also a fan of timemachine because of its simplicity.
> > You push the big button or press space and it records. You want another
> > take, press space twice. A simple peak meter is built in, the 'record
> > the past' feature is nice but I don't really need it.
>
> Recording the past is nice when you are the foh-tech and can only start the
> recording once the song is on its way. Setting a buffer of like 60secs gives
> you enough time to start up and check the live-sound and only after that
> "start" the recording. :-)
>
> Have fun,
>
> Arnold

Does this really help? You could just let your recording roll all the
way. The way the timemachine feature works right now you'll likely have
weird issues when you record song after song since the current
implementation doesn't seem to clear the ringbuffer or whatever it uses.
Try recording a couple of seconds, stop recording and start the next
recording within the pre-recording buffer length (10 sec. default) to
see what I mean. It can be a bit confusing and requires editing, or
worse.