[LAU] Pits And Gits - new piece from AVSynthesis/Csound

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Fri Feb 11 12:45:59 UTC 2011

Cedric Roux wrote:
> ----- "Dave Phillips" <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Btw, all the sounds in this piece are originally from the 8mbgmsfx.sf2
>>

> ok, so just to be sure, there is no real instrument
> in there? No real flute, horn, bassoon, whatever
> recorded with a microphone?

That's correct, although I assume the soundfonts were made from samples
of acoustic instruments.

Here's the MIDI sequencing toolchain:

    sequencer --> qsynth --> jack-rack --> system_out and/or ecasound,
ardour, qtractor, whatever

QSynth uses the 8mbgmsfx soundfont, JACK-Rack employs the CAPS Versatile
Plate Reverb, and I have a script that runs ecasound in its interactive
mode for handy recordings. I also have a script that sets up the
software and its connections (thanks to QJackCtl's PatchBay). It's all
very fast.

I make heavy use of Csound's Waveguide filter as implemented in the
AVSynthesis program. It's a powerful tool for manipulating sound, and
I'm far from exhausting its possibilities. In fact, I'm far from
exhausting the possibilities of AVSynthesis.

> The computer has also a little camera. Maybe I'll
> use that to control music with my body in the air
> (like wearing red gloves for easy detection or I
> don't know) and I was wondering if I could have
> other more or less realistic instruments (I think
> about cello, which I like a lot) that I could control
> that way.

You might want to investigate Csound, SuperCollider3, and the Processing
environment. IIRC they all have tools for exploring sensor control. And
of course ask around on this list, I think some people here have worked
with motion activation and other sensor control.

> Thanks for sharing cool music and happy music!

Thank you, and please keep us informed about your Linux music adventures. :)

Best,

dp