[LAU] Rock Band 3 Keyboard Controller (was: live performance, midi program change from the keyboard)

Leigh Dyer lsd at wootangent.net
Fri Feb 11 21:20:47 UTC 2011

On 12/02/11 03:51, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Luke Peterson<luke.peterson at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I'm familiar with the importance of connection order already with my rig: I
>> learned to plug my Fast Track Pro in to USB before any other USB midi device
>> or else I have to change around my JACK config to point to a device other
>> than hw:1.
>
> cat /proc/asound/cards
>   0 [SB             ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
>                        HDA ATI SB at 0xfcef8000 irq 16
>   1 [DSP            ]: H-DSP - Hammerfall DSP
>                        RME Hammerfall DSP + Digiface at 0xfcff0000, irq 20
>   2 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
>                        HDA NVidia at 0xfe57c000 irq 32
>
> see the names in square brackets? use them to tell JACK what to use:
>
>     jackd -d alsa -d hw:DSP .....
>
> then the discovery order doesn't matter anymore.

Man, I never knew that either! I've side-stepped the problem now by
switching to a Firewire interface for JACK, but before that, I'd tackled
it by explicitly numbering the cards at module load time through a file
in /etc/modprobe.d.

That solution actually worked well, and it was easy when I just had one
USB device (and a couple of PCI ones). I have four USB devices now, and
while it still works, the module options look a little ridiculous:

options snd-usb-audio index=3,4,5,6 vid=0x12e6,0x15ca,0x0471,0x0944
    pid=0x0013,0x0101,0x0329,0x010f

Thanks
Leigh