[LAU] Lightweight, small-screen-real-estate sequencer?

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Fri Feb 11 22:55:42 UTC 2011

Am 11.02.2011 20:13, schrieb Ken Restivo:
> Is there a lightweight, fast, not-extravagant-with-screen-real-estate (i.e. will work in 1024X600) piano-roll sequencer?
>
> I just need MIDI only. I don't want a tracker, I need piano roll.

Seq24 fits your description 1:1.

https://edge.launchpad.net/seq24/

It is available for all major flavours of Linux.

Mind the one trick that kept me from using it for several months after I
encountered it first(because I did not know it ;-) ):

Rightklick in a Pattern turns the cursor into a pencil (draw-mode
obviously) BUT: you have to *hold rightklick* and make a leftklick to
actually draw a note in the piano-roll.

Seq24 is a pattern-sequencer especially capable for live-situations. But
it has a song-editor also so you can make patterns and glue them
together to get a conventional song.

You have to set MIDI-out connections and channels in the pattern-editor.
The tools for this are sef-explanatory. If you ever have plaed around
with a MIDI-sequencer before, you will find out everything you need
within minutes.