[LAU] Snd learning curve

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Tue Feb 15 08:36:46 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Fernando Lopez-Lezcano's message of 2011-02-15 01:38:13 +0100:
> On 02/14/2011 12:38 PM, Hartmut Noack wrote:
> > Am 10.02.2011 21:00, schrieb Bill Schottstaedt:
> >> Thanks for the kind words about Snd! If any of you have the
> >> time and inclination, I'd like to hear how Snd should be changed
> >> to make it easier to use. My main interest is in the sound
> >> processing, not the user interface (which I guess is painfully obvious),
> >
> > But testing snd-gtk in Fedora14 (the version from CCRMA) the only
> > trouble I see *is* related to the UI. Especially things like this:
> >
> > snd-error: gtk-popup.scm needs the xg module (either 'make xg' or build
> > Snd with --with-static-xg): /home/zettberlin/xg.so: Kann die
> > Shared-Object-Datei nicht öffnen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> > "gtk-popup.scm"[14]: (if (string? hxm) (snd-error (format #f
> > "gtk-popup.scm needs the xg module (either 'make xg' or build Snd with
> > --with-static-xg): ~A" hxm)) (dlinit hxm "Init_libxg"))
> >

> > I would consider it a major improvement, if such dialogues would not pop
> > up in a general distribution of Snd. If a program offers me the
> > opportunity to switch a feature on and if I do it informs me of a
> > missing module, then I consider this a bug in the way the program is
> > distributed.
>
> That would be my fault as a packager, not Bill's. I regretfully don't
> have the cycles to do more thorough testing...
>
> Could you send me off-list what I need to do to reproduce the issue?
> (and any others you have stumbled on). I'll try to fix it asap...
>
> -- Fernando

Hi Fernando.
I'm on a different distro but experience the same issue, would be great
if we could share the solution.

To reproduce:
1) open the options menu
2) try to check one of the following options: "context-sensitive popup
menu", "effects menu", "include smtpe info"
3) You should get a popup with the mentioned error