[LAU] Linux Laptops?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Feb 15 13:08:13 UTC 2011

On Monday 14 February 2011 23:41:25 Josh Lawrence wrote:
> After getting scorched by purchasing two laptops with almost zero
> Linux support (battery status? what battery?), I have decided to go
> looking for a laptop that is sold by a company that supports Linux.
> I'm looking for any pointers to companies that sell Laptops that run
> Linux here in the US.  (I'm already familiar with System76.)  Bonus
> points if you've done business with them and have praise or warnings
> to go along with the pointers.  Feel free to shill for your own
> company if you want, just make sure if you recommend a laptop that
> Linux can read the damn battery status.  :)

My Dell Latitude 2110 here runs fine. shipped with ubuntu9.something, upgrade
gradually to current ubuntu-versions. I think wireless and sd-card use their
own driver, could be something in mainline already supports these.
My two asus laptops where also almost fully supported, usb-webcam on the
second laptop is not working. But who needs a webcam constantly pointed at
once nose-picking anyways...

Generally speaking, unless you go to "top-of-the-art" new features (like
touchscreen) most of what dell, lenovo, fujitsu, asus and maybe even acer
ships is running on linux. Best way to check for stories of success is to
google your desired laptop and your favourite linux distribution...

Have fun,

Arnold