[LAU] Linux Laptops?

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Tue Feb 15 22:14:36 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 04:41:25PM -0600, Josh Lawrence wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> After getting scorched by purchasing two laptops with almost zero
> Linux support (battery status? what battery?), I have decided to go
> looking for a laptop that is sold by a company that supports Linux.
> I'm looking for any pointers to companies that sell Laptops that run
> Linux here in the US.  (I'm already familiar with System76.)  Bonus
> points if you've done business with them and have praise or warnings
> to go along with the pointers.  Feel free to shill for your own
> company if you want, just make sure if you recommend a laptop that
> Linux can read the damn battery status.  :)

I bought an Asus laptop (Core 2 Duo, 2.33Ghz) 4 years ago and it is still my main audio production station on Linux. There was some weirdage with the ATA support; a SATA drive would have been a better choice, but that wasn't their fault, it was mine in configuring the machine.

I also have an Asus EEE in which everything "just works", better than any hardware I've ever had... probably because Asus used to actually ship the EEE with Linux.

I have used ThinkPads before, and they do indeed work well on Linux, but I absolutely HATE HATE HATE that damned nurple. I will never buy a Thinkpad again. Gimme a trackpad or trackball or a real mouse any day, and please, no nurple.

http://xkcd.com/243/

-ken