[LAU] Linux Laptops?

Dominic Sacré dominic.sacre at gmx.de
Wed Feb 16 10:56:12 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 16 February 2011 03:06:48 Ken Restivo wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 03:29:52PM -1000, david wrote:
> > Decades ago, at a previous employment, I borrowed a Thinkpad laptop
> > to take notes at a meeting. It had the IBM Trackpoint in the
> > keyboard. I used the laptop for about 45 minutes, went back to my
> > desktop machine (also an IBM, but no Trackpoint in the keyboard) -
> > and found my fingers automatically reaching for the Trackpoint.
> > They are incredibly efficient. Sorry you didn't like it.
>
> I guess some people actually do like it.
>
> ThinkPad + focus_on_mouse + typing anything with a 'g' or 'h' in it
> == TROUBLE.

I use a Thinkpad with TrackPoint and focus-follows-mouse every day, and
I really got used to it. These nipples come in different shapes and
sizes. I found that the small, convex ones are much less prone to
accidental cursor movement than the larger, flat ones which seem to be
installed by default these days.

Incidentally, at work I sometimes use a Thinkpad which has both
TrackPoint and touchpad. The touchpad is disabled in my own user
account, but not in the login screen. I can't count the number of times
I inadvertently rested my hand on the touchpad, causing the password
field to lose focus while typing...

Dominic