[LAU] Jack conking out, How to debug?

S. Massy lists at smassy.andropov.org
Wed Feb 16 19:27:38 UTC 2011

Hello, all,

So, thanks to the excellent advice received on this list, I recently
purchased a Roland UA25EX and it works just great, and out of the box at
that.

Also thanks to this list, I now have my RT kernel sorted out, lean and
mean as ever. All great!

With my (crappy) internal sound interface, I used to be able to leave
jack running for days at "-p128" without any problem, at least with my
new kernel. With my new USB soundcard, however, jack works flawlessly
for a few hours and then abruptly exits saying something to the effect
that jack timed out and the watchdog is doing its painful duty.

Here is my jack command-line:
$ jackd -P61 -t100 -d alsa -d hw:2,0 -p128 -r 44100

I tried adding "-v" for good measure and redirecting to a file, here's
what it looks like before the downfall:
-Couple 100K of boredom- [...]
load = 0.2478 max usecs: 4.000, spare = 1447.000
load = 0.2273 max usecs: 3.000, spare = 1448.000
load = 0.2859 max usecs: 5.000, spare = 1446.000
(and then tonnes of)
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.029 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.025 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.026 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.024 msecs
---and so forth until jackd gets killed.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Is something wrong with my
jackd command-line? Is there anything further I can do to debug?

Cheers,
S.M.