[LAU] Jack fallback to alsa when firefire device off?

Dan Capp reflectremain at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 13:55:39 UTC 2011

Thanks Robin. It’s just good to know whether it is or isn’t worth chasing.

I don’t really want to mess about making this happen if it’s new territory.
As a Linux-beginner I stand no chance of achieving what experts haven’t
already achieved.

However, what you said here is interesting:

> Why don't you use JACK _only_ for the firewire device? and configure
> your music-player to use ALSA (or pulseaudio) on the built-in card?”

Why not indeed! Maybe that’s what my problem boils down to – KXStudio’s
achievement of routing all audio through Jack2 is widely-celebrated, but
perhaps it’s not suitable for a user of my particular requirements. I wonder
whether it’s worth staying with KXStudio if I’m going to do as you suggest
above (I’m also having problems with my Wacom graphics tablet) or whether
there are other benefits of KXStudio that make it worth sticking by (it sure
looks slick). Perhaps I should install Kubuntu, then add the realtime
kernel, FFADO and those audio/graphics programs necessary for what I do.
Opinions?

- Dan C