[LAU] Jack fallback to alsa when firefire device off?

Daniel Worth pipemanmusic at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 17:05:19 UTC 2011

Personally, I would say that KXStudio has made a mistake here. There
> is no reason to run PulseAudio for this purpose. Torben wrote a
> libflashsupport-jack which routes Flash straight to JACK, and
> http://jackaudio.org/faq describes ways to get a variety of other
> desktop software to talk to JACK. I spend all day listening to
> internet radio and my own music collection via Rhythmbox, browing the
> catalog at emusic.com, watching Flash *and* working on Ardour ... all
> via JACK and all without a large, complex layer like PulseAudio in the
> middle.
>
> Some of these are not quite as robust as they should be but it would
> be far better (I think) to focus resources on making them more robust
> than introducing PulseAudio as a desktop<->JACK middle layer.

I'm going to have to disagree here. falktx, the guy behind KXStudio, has
written a very useful script called pulse-jack that configures Pulseaudio
automatically to work with Jack. I have found this to work better and
require much less configuration than alsa-jack and allows me to use Skype
and Google Voice Chat for my podcast. I also use Torben's Flash Jack driver
and this setup doesn't interfere with pulseaudio or jack. There is NO way to
get the current version of Skype working with Jack without using Pulseaudio.
I have spent years perfecting my podcasting setup and thanks to falktx I'm
now closer to the perfect setup than I ever have been before. I haven't had
any issues with his packages and I use it for audio everyday. I use both
KXStudio and his PPAs on top of vanilla Ubuntu and I've never been happier.

The fact is that Pulseaudio is winning the widest adoption and thanks to the
pulse-jack script Pulseaudio works very well with jack.

Daniel Worth
Host
The Open Source Musician Podcast
http://opensourcemusician.com