[LAU] Jack fallback to alsa when firefire device off?

Daniel Worth pipemanmusic at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 17:49:34 UTC 2011

> well, that's not a strong argument for pro audio under linux, maybe
> true for desktop on ubuntu. I really see no point installing
> pulseaudio at all, unless cases like yours.

I wasn't making the argument that it is the best setup for everyone. It is
however very useful to have both a fully functional desktop experience and a
high performing pro audio machine at the same time. KXStudio by it's very
nature is an effort by one person to support Pro Audio on top of Ubuntu that
ships with Pulseaudio by default. What KXStudio allows it up to date
packages of applications without loosing any desktop functionality. It also
is designed to make it easier to get a Pro setup up and running even for the
first time. It provides a lot of helpful dialogs during the install process
to make configuration for the new user easier. I find it a bit snarky for
people to say that one persons use case for audio isn't Pro while another
is. I would bet that most pro users also use the same machine for general
computing and I see no reason that wouldn't be possible.

I also don't see any argument for uninstalling Pulseaudio when it integrates
nicely with the desktop and doesn't interfere with using it for pro audio at
least when using Ubuntu.

Daniel Worth
Host
The Open Source Musician Podcast