[LAU] Jack fallback to alsa when firefire device off?

Daniel Worth pipemanmusic at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 22:28:55 UTC 2011

> never say never :)
>
> Older versions of skype worked just fine with ALSA-jackplug. Any version
> of skype works with the alsa loopback:
>
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/Index.php/Jack_and_Loopback_device_as_Alsa-to-Jack_bridge

Well, it's a bit besides the point. For one alsa-tools needs to be compiled
for Ubuntu to get the alsaloopback device or alsa-jack working. I'm well
aware that older versions of Skype work with alsa-jack in fact I have a .deb
file in my dropbox if anyone needs it. My point however is that I can either
futz with config files and compiling or I can use a simple script that works
perfectly. My original statement was about whether or not falktx made a
mistake including pulse-jack with KXStudio and I belive it isn't a mistake.
I am so painfully aware that there are 100 different kludges to getting non
Jack apps working with Jack. I have years of experience trying them all. I'm
saying as someone who has put in all the effort possible that the pulse-jack
script makes this whole task extremely simple. Does it solve the issue of an
app not supporting Jack, NO! But will it prevent an new user from opening up
firefox when jack is running and wonder why the hell he can't hear a youtube
video, YES!

OK, I'm not really upset. I just want to share my perspective because I can
honestly say I've logged 100s of hours trying to make this stuff work and I
felt I neede to defend the best option I've seen yet.

falktx has also sucessfully created a patch for Mumble to provide Jask
support. It sits unloved in the bug tracker for mumble and applyes prefectly
to the git ongoing. On top of that the RC client supports recording each
member in the channel to a separate audio file. So in many ways I owe a huge
debt of gratitude to the work falktx has done.