[LAU] no-os laptop

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Feb 18 07:04:30 UTC 2011

Renato wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 14:29:12 -0800
> Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org> wrote:
>
>> Isn't Lenovo an Italian company? Or, I remember, ThinkPads used to
>> say "Made in Italy" on them back in the IBM days.
>>

> huh? really don't know, I pretty much found out what thinkpads are in
> the last few days from this list :)
>
> But I don't really think it's italian - tell me how can I spend 1000+€
> on a laptop without being able to choose how much ram I want or what
> screen. Also more frustrating is that they give this option in other
> countries but they will ship only to that country.

Find some friendly person in that country, have them order it, get it
shipped to their address, then have them send it to you. ;-)

> I think I read somewhere lenovo is actually Chinese...

Yes, Lenovo is Chinese. One of the largest computer manufacturers in the
world. Well before IBM sold their PC division to Lenovo, Lenovo was
making all of IBM's PCs, including the Thinkpads. So chances are, if you
have an "IBM ThinkPad" complete with big blue logo etc in your hands,
you're holding a Lenovo product.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com