[LAU] no-os laptop

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Fri Feb 18 17:23:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 02:17:50PM +0100, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
> For my last laptop I ended up
> going to the nearest 'media-store' and getting a preinstalled vista
> laptop, trash vista and install linux. It would be nice to get
> os-less machines easily though.

My experience is that occasionally there are problems
getting hardware to work under Linux. Painful and depressing
tho it be, it can be helpful to boot under Vista/Win7
to verify that the hardware works.

The main issue keeping a Win partition alive while
installing linux for me is being able to shrink it.
MS has made this a royal pain (royal, perhaps because
kings get carbuncles on their butts from sitting at
their thrones?)

I found there's a free utility called Partition Wizard,
Linux based, that can correctly shrink a Win OS partition
without breaking it.

Cheers,

--
Joel Roth