[LAU] Music Made with Linux: The Infinite Repeat - Money or Love (DJ AutoStatic Remix)

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Mon Feb 21 00:25:08 UTC 2011

Dear all,

This is actually the very first track I made with Linux. Recently I
listened to it again and felt this track deserved some more attention so
I decided to remix it. Originally this track was made with LMMS and I
recorded the vocals with Qtractor. I kept the vocals and parts of the
drumsamples and I also stuck with the bass line for the verse and some
of the effects.

So I loaded all the samples into Hydrogen, recorded all MIDI patterns
with seq24 and inserted the plug-ins I wanted to reuse into Qtractor.

Well, that was my intention actually. I ended up rerecording guitar
parts and added quite some extra samples. Also the number of synths
steadily grew during the process, same for the amount of plug-ins I used.

This is what I came up with, just freshly ran through LinuxDSP's MBC2
(it's an electro-ish track so I compressed the hell out of it):
http://theinfiniterepeat.com/music/the_infinite_repeat_-_money_or_love_(dj_autostatic_remix).ogg

Stuffs used:
* Yoshimi Analogue Bass running through a C* Pre-amp and the Crossover
Distortion plug-in
* Yoshimi Dubstep (custom patch), I did the cut-off live with an Akai
MPK Mini
* amSynth Synth Strings 1 patch
* SO-666 Feedback Drone LV2 plug-in (LOVE THIS ONE!!! Thanks for this
plug-in Jeremy Salwen!!)
* WhySynth DragonPurr
* MDA Vocoder + Yoshimi Hard Synth
* All guitars (Fender Tele and OLP Music Man) done with Guitarix and the
Redwirez IR Library (http://www.redwirez.com/free1960g12m25s.jsp?ref=home)
* Lots and lots of Calf Compressors and I think every track (about 20)
has a different reverb plug-in (TAP, FreeVerb). I also used quite some
Calf Vintage Delays for the guitars and the SO-666. And 2 or 3 Calf
Phasers. Oh yeah, and the SC3 plug-in to duck the SO-666.
* Most drum samples are from the LMMS sample set, I decided to re-use
those. The crashes are from the GSCW2 Hydrogen kit.
* Last but not least, I added a little Glockenspiel in the bridge. First
I wanted to use the Glockenspiel of the SSO library but that specific
set of samples is not so great so I drove to our rehearsal room to pick
up our drummer's little Glockenspiel, mic-ed it with the first mic I
could find (an AT2020) and got it on hdd within a few minutes.

Basically I used Qtractor as a mixer, Hydrogen to host the samples and
seq24 for the MIDI patterns and automation of Qtractor. Works like a
charm. Hope you like it. Feedback is always appreciated!

Best,

Jeremy