[LAU] Music Made with Linux: The Infinite Repeat - Money or Love (DJ AutoStatic Remix)

linuxdsp mike at linuxdsp.co.uk
Mon Feb 21 14:09:59 UTC 2011

Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 02/21/2011 01:21 PM, James Stone wrote:
>> I quite like the distortion effect, but I wonder if it would be better
>> to distort with a plugin rather than pushing the levels? I would
>> prefer if the vocals were distorted the same amount all the way too..
>> also maybe a vocoder/extreme autotune on the vocals to get a more
>> electronica type sound??
>>
>> Overall, great track tho.
>>
>> James
>
> Hello James,
>
> While compressing the lead vocals of the verse I was like, what if I
> compress them ridiculously. And I quite liked the effect, it's finer
> grained than a distortion or overdrive. I did experiment with those but
> it all got too hefty, too degraded. I like it that it starts to saturate
> when the vocal part gets louder. I did spent quite some time running the
> vocals through zita-at1. I now know exactly how this nifty program works
> but wasn't satisfied with the results. Not that zita-at1 is not good,
> it's excellent, but somehow the autotuned parts didn't fit in the track.
> And I did use a vocoder in the bridge (thanks David Robillard for
> porting the mda plug-ins to LV2!) , maybe I should've used that
> elsewhere too but I can easily create some extra seq24 patterns.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jeremy

The compressor used in the linuxDSP MBC2 does have a kind of gentle tape
saturation style soft clipping in the final stage, so (only) if you push
the levels high there will be a gradual overload - the idea is that if
you have your gain structure correct you will run into this gentle kind
of overdrive without / just before hitting the kind of fierce hard
cipping which can happen at the output of the DAC / soundcard (and which
tends to happen suddenly and without any warning).  The softer clipping
is intended to be a gradual indication that you are approaching the
limit and might need to back off a little if you want to keep the signal
clean, but it can of course be used as an effect in its own right too.
  It's probably best thought of as part of the 'character' of the
compressor, in the same way that analogue equivalents (and other
plugins) have their own 'sound'.  For the most part it should have no
effect  - its just designed to give the compressor a more analogue
character when pushed.