[LAU] cello-like synthesizer?

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Fri Feb 25 13:30:37 UTC 2011

Am 25.02.2011 10:07, schrieb Cedric Roux:
> Hi LAUs,
>
> sorry, maybe it's well known, but is there
> a synthesizer (or however it might be called) that
> more or less sounds like a cello? (I should dig by
> myself, but I am very bad at that when it's not
> about finding programming related stuff.)
>
> I can edit/modify/compile/debug things, so even
> ultra experimental/research/half working stuff is
> very welcome.

Completely working though maybe not much more than a first step towards
your specifications:

http://lapoc.de/spinoffs/stromchello.ams

a patch for Alsa Modular Synth that sounds quite a bit like a cello.
Please take into consideration, that I do not believe in synths that
emulate real instruments. It is a synth clearly recognizable as a synth
that has some charakteristics that give it the feel of a cello-sound.

There are some more experiments like this in the directory:

http://lapoc.de/spinoffs/

> I am planning to write a little program to detect
> movements of my two hands with a little camera
> attached to the laptop I have here and I thought
> I could, I don't know, send midi events or whatever

cool ;-)

I do not know any method that could make ams recognize the difference
between up/down-stroke.

But there is hope: the most simple way to have an up/downstroke
separation would be 2 instances of ams with properly tweaked patches.

> to a synthesizer (or whatever) and have some audio
> output that would more or less sound like a cello
> (I love cello).
>
> Or any string instrument that you play with a bow
> if cello is too specific.
>
> To get the idea:
> one hand would go up/down and it would be translated
> as bow movement. The more on the right the louder the
> sound. The other hand controls the pitch in the vertical
> direction and another parameter ("metallic" sound let's
> say) in the horizontal direction.

OK, now I get it: you want a cello played like a teremin.

This one is easy once you have the movements as
MIDI-controller/note-messages.

Anyway you do not really need notes. It should be only one Note that
triggers the sound regardless to pitch. Velocity and/or volume raising
from left to right should not be that hard to achieve.

The other hand could control the pitch-parameter.

I do not know how you would create the messages-data from the
camera-pictures. But I can tell that it is a piece-of-cake operation to
bind them to parameters in AMS once you have them.

good luck an dkeep us up to date :-)

HZN/Berlin