[LAU] cello-like synthesizer?

Cedric Roux sed at free.fr
Fri Feb 25 16:18:42 UTC 2011

----- "Loki Davison" <loki.davison at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 8:07 PM, Cedric Roux <sed at free.fr> wrote:
> > Or any string instrument that you play with a bow
> > if cello is too specific.
> >

> I think this will be fantastically difficult to sound decent, unless
> you want a very simple and limited instrument. The range of different
> strokes with the bow is extensive, and the complex combination of
> speed /angle / force / distance from bridge would be irreproducibile.
> Have you tried playing a bowed instrument? I think working out how to
> do it without some bow technique knowledge would be hard. I suspect
> either a real cello / electric cello or getting an EUB would be a far
> superior option. If you want to make that wacky have effects on the
> electric cello with some stomp boxes.
>
> Loki

I was thinking of a physical model maybe. I've read once a PhD
of a guy modelling a classic guitar. Full of maths, differential equations
and so on. And some audio samples were provided. It sounded nice.
The guy is Grégoire Derveaux.
The PhD is at: http://www-rocq.inria.fr/macs/spip.php?article102
It's in french but there is: http://www-rocq.inria.fr/macs/spip.php?article81
It is not realtime as far as I know.

There is also the work at CCRMA on Digital Waveguide Synthesis:
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/Digital_Waveguide_Bowed_String.html
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/Sound_Examples.html

So maybe there is room for some more or less nice artificial sound
of bowed instruments.

Obviously the poor controls I think about are not sufficient to have a
100% realistic sound and yes, play a real cello would be ideal. But I
feel in the mood to hack a bit with this little camera and I want kind
of cello sound for some music I have in the head. :-)