[LAU] Music made with Linux: Pushing Angel 303

Rafal Zawadzki bluszcz at bluszcz.net
Sat Feb 26 21:53:24 UTC 2011

Hi Paul.

About my experiences with Ardour,

first thing about I've never mentioned - I really appreciated ardour
during recording - possibility to expose by defaualt every channel audio
with its own name in jack - for now I haven't found another one (working
with Linux such) with such intuitive and useful approach.

But after recording material (5 channels - 2xvoc, drums, bass, guitar) we
started to mixing it down.

Routing and mixer + also intuitive usage of plugins on mixer - was very
nice. Unfortunately at this point my ardour started to crash - for now I
don't remember exactly details (it was around 2,5 months ago). I was using
KXStudio based on Ubuntu Lucid (32 bit) on Dell XPSM1330 (3GB ram), latest
ardour - 2.8.11 - for that time...

Fast saves of snapshots became really helpful.

At some we found, that drums are bit desyncronised in recording and we
would like them to tune a bit. So I started to slice them and we wanted
connect them - we found problem. For 1,5 hour 3 ppl (1 very technical, 1
half technical, 1 non technical) were not able to find an easy / any way to
activate it. Problem supposed to be easy - create new drum track based on
sliced samples - alliging / snapping them,.

And yes, we made it - zooming it to to maximum and alligning carefully
with hand on zoomed waveform...

Today I opened ardour, read small sample, set snapping to region ends and
magnetic - and it did work. No clue - maybe problem was realet with "weight
of project" and that everything working  slow? (2,5 hours of recorind for 5
channels - ardour on my not too fast laptop was pretty). For now I don't
access to this project to check this behaviour once again. Hm, saying more
- now even snapping to beat work. Dunno.

Another problem which we experienced - ardour was slow on zooming -
mooving the workspace. Probably faster machine would resolve the problem -
but another DAW here (Linux) was faster....

Another of problem was editing of sample in details - finally we finished
with exporting them to audacity and so on....

Ok, this about my experiences using Ardour as Multi track recorder - one
problem looks like is resolved for me - but will have to check again on big
project.

About my "useless" word - I was referring to work with Ardour as software
to create music. For me, personally is difficult to focus on creativity
when I don't have access to built in "piano player", "step sequencer" just
out of the box. I know (or at least I read about it) about seq24 and
possibility to use it - but never tried it and for sure it is not so
usefull like possibility to edit notes directly from DAW (for example
energyXT has both - piano roll and simply but very useful drum sequencer ,
and renoise tracker way of editiing provides both. In both its easy
integrated with automations....

I think that ardour works excellent as part of jack framework and
integrates all other apps like Hydrogen / seq24... But I haven't used to
such way of editing and always preferable "batteries included" approach.

I read that piano roll will be part of ardour3 - thats sounds very
promising...

Anyway, I read a bit about ardour on this maillist and for sure will give
another try once again :)

Cheers and thanks for patient for frustrated sometimes users ;)

bluszcz

--
Rafal bluszcz Zawadzki
 Django / Plone / Python / dub / drum&bass