[LAU] Fwd: looking for a USB soundcard

Cedric Roux sed at free.fr
Mon Feb 28 09:09:55 UTC 2011

----- "Fritz Meissner" <meissner.fritz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Works in 24-bit mode with Ubuntu 9.04, so it should certainly work
> with anything newer.

Okay,

I purchased the little soundcard UA1EX.
And it works just out of the box with an ubuntu 10.10
on a laptop I have. Just plug it and ALSA sees
the device.

Here is a proof that it works:
http://dl.free.fr/cLQMzkUEp/tarrega_em-study_96khz_24b_stereo.wav.bz2
It's a little Tarrega's study in Em for the classic guitar
(it's public domain music, 100% legal to post). I just plugged
a cheap microphone directly in the UA1EX microphone
port, and recorded at 96KHz (hell, 96KHz! are you
insane recording people? we are not bats!), 24b,
stereo. Then I post-processed the file slightly
with ffmpeg to increase the volume and here is the
result wav file.

As you can hear, we hit the noise floor pretty
well, but I didn't expect too much with the quick
setup. In the future I will plug an amplifier in
the RCA connectors of the UA1EX. It was just a
quick and dirty record session (and as you can
hear, the piece is played too fast and with the
wrong emotion in it, namely: stress).

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion Fritz, it was
the perfect device I wanted. A bit long to come
because the model is "superseded" by the more recent
UA1G. But I could get one, so that's nice.

Thanks!
Cédric.