No subject

Mon Feb 7 00:14:59 UTC 2011

After far too many delays (both technical and logistical,for which I
> apologise), practical progress has finally been made on the FFADO RME
> driver.
>
> In short, the driver is now ready for wider testing, although there are
> some important limitations and cautions to keep in mind before proceeding. Read
> more <http://www.ffado.org/?q=node/1974> for the details.
>
>    - If a non-zero verbose level is selected using the "-v" option, a 0
>    dBFS 1 kHz sine wave will be output on the left phones channel. This is to
>    facilitate debugging of audio timing. *If you have headphones or
>    monitors connected to the phones output, please do not activate verbose
>    debug mode without taking appropriate precautions*.
>    - The level produced from the phones (aka monitor) output is very high
>    from this device and the front panel "ph" level control does not affect the
>    level being sent by the computer. *Use headphones with extreme caution
>    to prevent inadvertent hearing damage*, especially during initial
>    testing and/or if no software volume control is in operation.
>    - You will need the latest subversion snapshot of FFADO.
>    - Ffado-mixer support is still rather limited and contains only a small
>    number of controls (now the streaming system seems to be working I expect to
>    expand this soon). In particular there is no user access to the onboard
>    mixer controls: however, ffado sets these to a 1-1 mapping which should do
>    for testing.
>    - Meaningful testing is probably limited to the Fireface400 for the
>    moment since that is the interface I have been testing with. I will test
>    with with a FF800 in due course - most likely after I've got a more complete
>    ffado-mixer working for the ff400. In the meantime, it is almost certain
>    that the driver will not run with a FF800 yet.
>    - I've been testing exclusively with jack1 and the old kernel firewire
>    stack. In theory jack2 should work just as well, but I have seen reports
>    over the last couple of weeks which suggests that there may be a problem
>    with ffado in the latest jack2. YMMV. Similarly the new kernel stack should
>    work but I have not personally tried this yet.
>
> To provide feedback on your experiences please subscribe to ffado-devel and
> post your findings there initially. If extended discussion is required we
> can take things off-list if appropriate.
>
> My testing to date has been mostly with 48k and 44.1k rates. I have fired
> 96k and 192k up and had them work for short periods of time so hopefully
> that's a good sign. Finally, for initial tests it is probably wise to stick
> with fairly large latencies: I've been using "-p 1024" and "-n 4" options
> when starting ffado via jackd.

I'm assuming that all of these issues still stand ^^.

I'm curious about one thing, however.  What does this statement mean,
exactly:

In particular there is no user access to the onboard mixer controls:
> however, ffado sets these to a 1-1 mapping which should do for testing.

Thanks!

--000e0cd4c90668b5b504ae996ad2

r></p><blockquote style=3D"margin:0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid r=
gb(204, 204, 204);padding-left:1ex" class=3D"gmail_quote">
=20
logistical,for which I apologise), practical progress has finally been=20
made on the FFADO RME driver.</p><p style=3D"margin-left:40px">In short, th=
e driver is now ready for wider testing, although there=20
are some important limitations and cautions to keep in mind before=20
proceeding. <a href=3D"http://www.ffado.org/?q=3Dnode/1974" target=3D"_blan=
a non-zero verbose level is selected using the &quot;-v&quot; option, a 0=
=20
dBFS 1 kHz sine wave will be output on the left phones channel.  This is
 to facilitate debugging of audio timing.  <b>If you have headphones or mon=
itors connected to the phones output, please do <i>not</i> activate verbose=
 debug mode without taking appropriate precautions</b>.
</li><li>The level produced from the phones (aka monitor) output is very
 high from this device and the front panel &quot;ph&quot; level control doe=
s not=20
affect the level being sent by the computer.  <b>Use headphones with extrem=
e caution to prevent inadvertent hearing damage</b>, especially during init=
ial testing and/or if no software volume control is in operation.
</li><li>You will need the latest subversion snapshot of FFADO.
</li><li>Ffado-mixer support is still rather limited and contains only a
 small number of controls (now the streaming system seems to be working I
 expect to expand this soon).  In particular there is no user access to=20
the onboard mixer controls: however, ffado sets these to a 1-1 mapping=20
which should do for testing.
</li><li>Meaningful testing is probably limited to the Fireface400 for=20
the moment since that is the interface I have been testing with.  I will
 test with with a FF800 in due course - most likely after I&#39;ve got a=20
more complete ffado-mixer working for the ff400.  In the meantime, it is
 almost certain that the driver will not run with a FF800 yet.
</li><li>I&#39;ve been testing exclusively with jack1 and the old kernel=20
firewire stack.  In theory jack2 should work just as well, but I have=20
seen reports over the last couple of weeks which suggests that there may
 be a problem with ffado in the latest jack2.  YMMV.  Similarly the new=20
kernel stack should work but I have not personally tried this yet.
nces please subscribe to=20
ffado-devel and post your findings there initially.  If extended=20
discussion is required we can take things off-list if appropriate.</p><p st=
yle=3D"margin-left:40px">My testing to date has been mostly with 48k and 44=
.1k rates.  I have=20
fired 96k and 192k up and had them work for short periods of time so=20
hopefully that&#39;s a good sign.  Finally, for initial tests it is probabl=
 wise to stick with fairly large latencies: I&#39;ve been using &quot;-p 10=
24&quot;=20
and &quot;-n 4&quot; options when starting ffado via jackd.</p></blockquote=
I&#39;m curious about one thing, however.=A0 What does this statement mean,=
 exactly:<br>

(204, 204, 204);padding-left:1ex" class=3D"gmail_quote"><div style=3D"margi=
n-left:40px"> In particular there is no user access to=20