[LAU] Drum sounds with Hydrogen

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Mon Jan 3 05:19:34 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 08:23:11PM +0100, Roberto Suarez Soto wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I've been using the drumkits from Hydrogen's page for a while, and
> though they're quite good, I don't still get the sound I'd like from
> them. In particular, I've been trying to get a good trip hop or hip hop
> sound with them, but I really don't know how. My experiments with
> several drumkits and equalization have been a failure; and that's an
> euphemism :-)
>
>     So I invoke thee, guardian angels of LAU: are there any general tips
> on how to get a good trip-hop/hip-hop drum sound?
>
>     Please, take into account that my knowledge of equalization and all
> things sound is pretty limited. Every time I read you speaking casually
> of "low pass filters" and similar artifacts, my head spins.
>
>     Thanks in advance,

Best hip-hop sound I've gotten was from Hydrogen:
http://www.restivo.org/blog/podpress_trac/web/135/0/on-strike-0.1.1.ogg

It was one of the standard kits, I think "HipHop-2".

I thought it was aight on my monitors, but then when I played it on a club soundsystem, I was like, whoa... The samples were obviously chosen/designed to work in that environment.

-ken