[LAU] ALSA OSS emulation layer questions

Kim Cascone kim at anechoicmedia.com
Mon Jan 3 17:54:53 UTC 2011

I just recently upgraded Ubuntu from 9.04 -> 10.10

I tested all my Linux audio apps on Ubuntu 10.10
(my config is in the sig at the end of this email)
and every one checked out OK except for baudline
which wasn't working with ALSA

the reason it isn't working with ALSA - as related to me by the
developer - was that
'Ubuntu 10.10 removed kernel ALSA OSS emulation' but baudline does work
with Jack'

the kernel I'm using was compiled by Ubuntu
Linux 2.6.35-24-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 2 01:41:57 UTC 2010
and I had to do the 'which kernel works with the broadcom wifi driver'
dance which is why I'm using this particular kernel

as I read more about this issue I see more clearly the lack of thinking
behind this decision

so I have some questions to other Ubuntu 10.10 users out there:

- why was the ALSA OSS emulation layer removed?

- why is there no general mixer for all the different volumes any longer?

     - and is there an app that replaces the old Volume control that
allows you to adjust settings on all the different audio services?

- is there a 2.6.xx.x kernel that has the ALSA OSS emulation layer
compiled in?
     (I'll need a range of kernels so I can test/select one that works
with my Broadcom wifi driver.)
     - if so, where can I find it?

anyone have any advice, stories, tips, tricks or suggestions?

any/all help is appreciated + happy new year!

--
*my Linux audio perf config:*
Dell Studio 15 Core2 Duo 2.0GHz w/3G-RAM