[LAU] Upgrading (was Re: Ardour and xrun markers)

Peder Hedlund peder at musikhuset.org
Tue Jan 4 13:17:53 UTC 2011

Quoting lanas <lanas at securenet.net>:

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 19:46:11 -0500,
> Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote :
>
>>> I'm using a
>>> rather 'old' Ardour version eg. 2.4.1.
>
>> i believe that the question was answered, but here's one for you: what
>> is the justification for continuing to use such an ancient version of
>> Ardour? there are probably 300-400 bugs fixed since then, some of them
>> very serious ones.
>
> I'm not too keen about updating Fedora 8.  Everything works OK.  When I
> want to record things it works.  I have seen too numerous problems when
> doing other updates.

I have to take sides with lanas on this.
If you have an old system that has been working well, you haven't
experienced any show stopping bugs and you don't have any security
issues you have to deal with; why go through the hassle of upgrading?

Sure you'll get lots of new features and (hopefully) fewer bugs if you
upgrade but if what you have works well and is all you need there's
little gain.

And a tip once you upgrade lanas: buy a new harddrive and do a fresh install.
You can even keep the old one and set up the bootloader to dual-boot
your old system if you feel like you need to experiment with the new
system first.