[LAU] Balance between performance and noise

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Fri Jan 7 13:12:48 UTC 2011

On 12/28/2010 10:03 PM, rosea.grammostola wrote:
> On 12/09/2010 09:10 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
>> ..what does cause problems here is FSBus frequency scaling, I've
>> disabled that in the BIOS.
>>
>> Cheers!
>> robin
>
> It's been a while, but I'm not sure if I have that setting on my T61
>
> I have in my BIOS:
>
> Intel R Speedstep technology <enabled>
>     Mode for AC <auto>
>                 Battery <auto>
> Adaptive Therman Management
>                     AC <balanced>
>                     Batt. <balanced>
> CPU Power Management <auto>
> PCI <auto>
> PCI E <auto>
>

> Regards,
>
> \r

I hazard a guess at the last two.

Here it is called EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology) which I
needed to disable in order to disable bus frequency scaling.

Speedstep is still enabled and CPU freq scaling does still work when I
set "C1E" and "C5/C6" (CPU Power management) states to "yes" or "auto"
in the BIOS. (check with 'powertop').

HTH,
robin