[LAU] ambisonics: fons ambdec and muse.demon.co.uk ambidec

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Jan 7 21:29:05 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Niels Mayer <nielsmayer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can ambisonics be used in a "handheld" configuration? I noticed that
> Nokia has a phone with four speakers, which I assume would be for
> positional sound effects in games:
> http://pocketnow.com/tech-news/nokia-x7-leaked-four-speakers-eight-megapixels-video
> http://www.technolifestyle.com/2010/11/nokia-x7-00-mobile-phone-with-4-speakers/

i quote: "Certainly, listening to music or even watch high definition
movies will feel more booming with Nokia X7-00."

ambisonics assumes a speaker in the midst of an array of speakers that
point more or less in the general direction of
the listener's head. this phone is just a gimmick.

> I would imagine such a configuration would be able to "beam form" the

the nokia phone has so little to do with any kind of "spatial sound"
that i hardly know where to begin.